Tuesday 6 November 2012

The Cereal Killer Coating Hypothesis

I would like to introduce this hypothesis as a precursor to my upcoming Dallas’ Cereal Structural Index (hereon known as DCSI).  A simple hypothesis that one would utilise to explain the key structural differences between normal cereals and there coated alternatives.  For instance: Corn Flakes and Frosties, Shreddies and Coco/Frosted/Honey Shreddies, Rice Krispies and Ricicles.  You get the idea.

The hypothesis states that:

A cereal that is coated in sugar, chocolate – or otherwise – will retain its crunchiness and/or structural integrity longer than its uncoated counterpart.

I feel the finest breakfast cereals available are a coated twist on and old classic, and this is often because of the consequential effect of the coating on the cereal’s texture.  If you don’t believe me, pour yourself two bowls of cereal; one of plain Shreddies and one of Coco Shreddies.  Add equal amounts of milk, submerging the cereal, and leave for 5 minutes.  When you come back to them you will find a bowl of nigh on mush in the plain Shreddies bowl and a nicely softened, but still intact, bowl of Coco Shreddies.  This is also why I get upset when people say things like: “Hey, Dallas: why not just buy plain Shreddies and add your own sugar, instead of buying the more expensive Frosted Shreddies?”  Are you wrong in the head, mate?  It’s not the same thing, and it is all down to the Cereal Killer Coating Hypothesis. 

This idea will come into its own when I cover the DCSI in my next article.  Thanks for reading and I hope you find this helpful. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting DCSI theory. Looking forward to hearing more, in particular regarding "CURIOUSLY CINNAMON - Crave Those Crazy Squares" Nestle Cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks missc2. I'm trying to be more scientific with my reviews. Here's hoping it works.

    ReplyDelete